Welcome to the FLORIDA SURFCASTERS forums.

This forum is provided by the Florida SurfCasters Fishing Club to give local and distant surf fishermen a place to share their ideas with everyone. Consider it a place to learn about different fishing techniques & tactics and to improve your surf fishing skills.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will be able to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join The Surf Fishing Florida Forum today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...Panhandle Regio...Panhandle Regio...cape san blas help a wonnabe surf fishermancape san blas help a wonnabe surf fisherman
Previous

Next
New Post
5/7/2013 10:26 PM

I am going to cape san blas at the end of may...

I have been trying to study up on surf fishing.....

I bought a 9 foot surf travel rod for the trip

I have been reading on how to "read a beach" but I doubt I will be able to it..

I have a few questions?

how far out will I need to cast .. for pompano..

how far should I be able to cast my rig "tsunami 9'3" travel and penn reel"

how difficult is it to find sand fleas ?

What other bait should I try.

what other fish should I target.... something easy ,,maybe whiteing?

any tips would help. I will have some kids with me and am planning on letting them reel them in maybe get them hooked on fishin

what about the bay how should a land locked person attack it...

New Post
5/9/2013 12:42 PM

Last year I was catching pompano on "Fish Bites" clam and shrimp flavor and fresh pieces of shrimp on 1/0 circle hooks on pompano rigs I bought at the local bait shop.  I was only casting between 50 and 100 yds off the beach into the first trough.  I think we caught a total of 12 or so over three or four days.  We were catching whiting on the same rigs also, same bait, same distance.  i think we caught 10 or so of them last year also.  We also caught some sand fleas, they are easy to find, just look for the v's in the surf as the water is washing back out and dig them up, throw'em in a bucket with a little sand and water and you are good to go.

New Post
5/9/2013 9:24 PM

thanks.

should I order some fish bites or are they easy to get localy.

New Post
5/9/2013 10:27 PM

i suggest you order them and get exactly what you want.

New Post
5/10/2013 5:20 AM

Fished Cape San Blas on Thursday. Plenty of Pompano and Whiting. Fishbites available everywhere. Tip Pompano rigs with fresh dead shrimp Sand fleas were scarce but really not necessary.. Fish with no more than10 lb. test.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...Panhandle Regio...Panhandle Regio...cape san blas help a wonnabe surf fishermancape san blas help a wonnabe surf fisherman