Welcome to the FLORIDA SURFCASTERS forums.

This forum is provided by the Florida SurfCasters Fishing Club to give local and distant surf fishermen a place to share their ideas with everyone. Consider it a place to learn about different fishing techniques & tactics and to improve your surf fishing skills.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will be able to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join The Surf Fishing Florida Forum today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...Panhandle Regio...Panhandle Regio...Cape San BlasCape San Blas
Previous

Next
New Post
6/14/2010 11:27 PM

Cape San Blas  (United States)

I attended a family reunion in LA (Lower Alabama) this past weekend.  I slipped away Sunday afternoon to fish a little bit ahead of the oil. Went down to Cape San Blas, parked at Light house and walked around to the point.  The tide was going out and the water from the bay that runs by the point was dingy. I fished dead live shrimp where the outgoing dingy bay water was mixing with the clear water of the gulf. Action was hot. Ever cast produced at least one fish (many time two) as soon as it hit bottom.   Most were 8 -10 inch croakers with a few nice size Sail Cats thrown in the mix (unbelievably no hardheads) and one bonnet head.   Since I was in R&C mode I didn’t get a count but I would guess a 5 gal bucket full before a thunderstorm run me off the beach.  On the way back I stopped at the IWC inlet at Port St Joe since it had stopped raining.  It was near dusk, sight casted a  6-inch swimming shad soft bait at some reds busting some bait on the flats. I had one hook-up. I got him close enough see him but was unable to land.  I talked some of the local guys coming in from looking for oil for BP.  They said the leading edge was a lot closer than the day before.  Those guys are really hurting.  I hope this was not my last trip to fish the Gulf.

Leave it better than you found it!

W T McLennan (aka toejam)
wt@TorquedFishing.com
256-776-4273

New Post
6/15/2010 8:02 AM

Re: Cape San Blas  (United States) Modified By Jeff Rafter  on 6/15/2010 10:16:33 PM

The outlook for the Gulf's future is very sad. I'm glad you had some decent fishing this week and let's all hope this nightmare scenario can be fixed.

Yesterday there were two young men fishing near me at Matanzas. They looked like they had surf fished before, but I could see they were not regulars. As they were walking by me on their way off the beach they stopped and the guy with the Tennessee Titans hat on started asking questions. They were men with their young families on their weeks vacation, and they had changed their plans from the annual visit to Destin to Saint Augustine. They wanted a sure thing for the vacation from Nashville so they came to Saint Auggie for the week. They ended up at Matanzas as a result of reading posts on this board..

Fishing was slow so we held school call. They left with heads full of new information about surf fishing the Atlantic, nearby spots to fish and take the wife and kids, local area bait shops, some big Red rigs and a GO JAGUARS send off.

WT, you can always come here to Flagler Beach to fish and enjoy some of that Manny's pizza.

New Post
6/15/2010 9:52 AM

Re: Cape San Blas sail cats  (United States)

I was wondering how you clean the cats.  Ive seen them peged and skined with pliers, but can they be skined like scaled fish sliding the blade along the filet with a sideway sawing motion?

Just wondering,

Curtis

I hope there's a fish under all your casts.

New Post
6/15/2010 11:44 AM

Re: Cape San Blas sail cats  (United States)

Being from Ohio, i have filleted countless channel cats. Just cut an outline in the skin for your fillet and take a pair of neddle nosed pliers and pull off the skin.  Then fillet as you do any other fish. Very simple.

Fish On!

New Post
6/15/2010 6:34 PM

Re: Cape San Blas  (United States)

Thanks for helping those Ridge runners out.   There is a big different in fishing the panhandle and the east coast.  For them like me, it is not much farther to Flagler or  NC, or SC  to fish.  Will be be back in Flagler up in the fall  when it cools off a little and sho nuf looking forward to some Manny' s Pizza.

Leave it better than you found it!

W T McLennan (aka toejam)
wt@TorquedFishing.com
256-776-4273

Previous

Next
HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...Panhandle Regio...Panhandle Regio...Cape San BlasCape San Blas