Welcome to the FLORIDA SURFCASTERS forums.

This forum is provided by the Florida SurfCasters Fishing Club to give local and distant surf fishermen a place to share their ideas with everyone. Consider it a place to learn about different fishing techniques & tactics and to improve your surf fishing skills.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will be able to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join The Surf Fishing Florida Forum today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...General Discusi...General Discusi...Rod Building-DIYRod Building-DIY
Previous

Next
New Post
9/10/2011 12:43 PM

Rod Building-DIY  (United States) Modified By SteveAustin  on 11/26/2012 4:34:11 PM

ROD BUILDING 101
I HAVE BEEN BUILDING CUSTOM SURFFISHING RODS FOR MORE YEARS THAN I CAN COUNT. I HAVE BUILT AND SHIPPED RODS ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES AND TO COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD. I HAVE DECIDED THAT,  AS I REACH THE AUTUMN OF MY YEARS, IT MIGHT BE TIME TO SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE IN FURTHERANCE OF OUR “PAY IT FORWARD” PHILOSOPHY IN THIS CLUB. AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, I AM THE SOLE U. S. IMPORTER FOR ALL ANYFISH ANYWHERE PRODUCTS. THERE IS A CERTAIN PRIDE AND SELF-SATISFACTION WHEN YOU LAND THAT BIG FISH AND THINK TO YOURSELF,”I DID THAT WITH A ROD I CREATED WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS."  I ACTUALLY GET THAT FEELING SOMETIMES JUST WATCHING YOU ALL CATCH ‘EM ON A ROD THAT I BUILT FOR YOU. FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN BUILDING THEIR OWN ROD FROM BLANK TO FISHING MACHINE AND ALSO SAVING A FEW HARD EARNED DOLLARS AS A BONUS, HERE'S WHAT I HAVE IN MIND:
      1.      INSTRUCT YOU ON HOW TO SPLINE OR SPINE A ROD
      2.      PROPER GUIDE SPACING
3.      REEL SEAT PLACEMENT AND ORIENTATION

4.      TYPES OF THREAD AND HOW TO APPLY IT

5.      SHRINK GRIP SELECTION & APPLICATION

6.      ROD CHARACTERISTICS
Most of you already know there is not another rod available in the U.S. to compare to the AFAW in its bite sensitivity and casting distance combined in the same rod. Some cast far and others have bite detection but there are none that retain both of those characteristics, not to mention the lifetime warranty. We will be using AFAW blanks and Fuji or Pac Bay, your choice,  guides and reel seats, butt caps, etc. You will build your own rod using my equipment and supplies with my assistance and supervision. You will end up with a surffishing rod that you can say ‘”Here is a rod that I built”. It will last you a lifetime. You will save between $50 & $75 compared to what you would pay if you commissioned me to do it for you. I will teach you at my place or I will come to you within a reasonable distance. Believe me when I say that you don't need to be artistic or "handy" to do this. Think it over and if you are interested, give me a call. 904-855-0308 or stevenaustin333@yahoo.com
Currently, I have on hand
             11’ Estuary   rated 1-3 oz
            12’  Universal rated 2-5 oz
            13’  Surf           rated 3-5 oz
Also available to you guys who live outside the area, I can put together a kit with everything you need to build the rod except the wrapping machine and advise you by phone or email.
Here are some unsolicited testimonials:

Steve Austin 904-855-0308 904-386-4565 www.floridasurftackle.com stevenaustin333@yahoo.com

New Post
9/10/2011 5:50 PM

Re: Rod Building-DIY  (United States) Modified By gatordave25  on 9/10/2011 5:02:16 PM
Sign me up for a Universal. I'd like to build mine at St. George Island. I have been considering going to a Mud Hole rod building class, but I'd much rather have the Rod Master's personal attention and walk away with a custom AFAW than be in a group with other novices and walk away with a 6'6" no-name rod that I would have no use for. Thanks for making this available Steve.

New Post
9/10/2011 6:13 PM

Re: Rod Building-DIY  (United States)

Good show there; Old Buddy! Keeps right on Gowge's credo of 'Pass it Forward'

I might add that  I've built on both the 11 foot Estuary as well as the 13 foot SURF blanks. I built both as conventional, spinning and yes...spiral wrap.

The thrill of catching a fish on a rod that you build is comparable to catching one with both rod and lure that you've built for yourself.

If there's anyhting that you need, Steve, I'm just a phone call away. C2

FOGey- Friend of Gowge "Pass it Forward"-Gowge

New Post
9/10/2011 6:32 PM

Re: Rod Building-DIY  (United States)

Thanks for the kind words C2. A lot of you guys don't know Charlie who lives in pCola. He is one of the finest rodbuilders still alive. Pioneered in guide spacing charts with Renzatti and is the go to guy for spiral wrapped rods. To further his pedigree, you should know that he is also one of the few who can still hand weave a cast net.

Steve Austin 904-855-0308 904-386-4565 www.floridasurftackle.com stevenaustin333@yahoo.com

New Post
9/10/2011 11:52 PM

Re: Rod Building-DIY  (United States) Modified By Charlie  on 9/10/2011 10:59:58 PM

Thanks for the kudos!

To clear up what is a problem with communication is that it was Dom Morton who made the charts and licensed them to Renzetti. I communicated with Don during hte development of the charts. Don gets the royalties. It is the ONLY chart that I use for placing guides. (if I use a chart). I use static placement which lets the rod tell me where it wants its guides placed. Rods of the same manufacturer and model have subtle differences.

I might add that if I see a lure that I like, I will 'clone' it for lack of a better definition. I will share my secrets of my succesful lires. I hooked and held something big today on one of my bone colored 'spooks' made from a broom handle. It spit it out  after about 5 minutes. I never got to see what it was.

Steve is correct about my spiral wrapped rods. It is the only way that I do conventionals any more. I developed a method to use on long surf rods when people said that it couldn't be done. Spiral Wraps Rule! C2

FOGey- Friend of Gowge "Pass it Forward"-Gowge

Previous

Next
HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...General Discusi...General Discusi...Rod Building-DIYRod Building-DIY