Welcome to the FLORIDA SURFCASTERS forums.

This forum is provided by the Florida SurfCasters Fishing Club to give local and distant surf fishermen a place to share their ideas with everyone. Consider it a place to learn about different fishing techniques & tactics and to improve your surf fishing skills.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will be able to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join The Surf Fishing Florida Forum today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...General Discusi...General Discusi...Homemade sand flea rake?Homemade sand flea rake?
Previous

Next
New Post
6/7/2010 3:05 PM

Homemade sand flea rake?  (United States)

I was out at Matanzas fishing this weekend and I ran into Larry Finch, who sort of laughed at my cured bait (with several anecdotes), and suggested that I use a more natural bait presentation. I know he uses a homemade sand flea rake and I hate spending $40 on something I might be able to make myself. Does anyone know how to make a sand flea rake? Or should I just drop the $40 at Wal-Mart?

New Post
6/7/2010 4:38 PM

Re: Homemade sand flea rake?  (United States)

You can buy a rake if you want but nothing"NOTHING"beats good ole fresh(live"local"shrimp.)Put 'em in a plastic bag and use small peeled piecies.Most times you get 2 baits out of 1 swimp.Big ones you get 3.Reason for live is there are tougher than fresh dead therefore harder to get off.I have been surf fishin for 30 yrs and don't use fleas. IMO. Bennie 

Remember..... Rich people have thearpist, Poor people have fishin.....

New Post
6/7/2010 5:29 PM

Bennie,

Where are you getting these live "local BIG" shrimp, because the ones I have been getting this time of year are neither local or BIG?? I agree with you about useing those for 90% of the time but I can't find them.

New Post
6/7/2010 5:46 PM

I made one out of galvanized hardware cloth and a pushbroom handle. Hardware cloth can be folded in to shape. Use heavy duty hurricane strapping in 2 foot lengths to reinforce the open edge. I use a little bit of cedar wood furring strips to make it stronger and give something for the screws to bite into. I have a picture on my cellphone of mine. I'll try to figure out how to upload it. It works great. I also use it to catch mud minnows in the creeks.

New Post
6/8/2010 5:58 PM

Ask Tin Squid (Curtis) how he likes the one I made for him. But It would still cost ya $40+. But he may be able to send you a picture so you can make your own.

It aint about what ya got but rather what THEY want!!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeSurf Fishing Fl...Surf Fishing Fl...General Discusi...General Discusi...Homemade sand flea rake?Homemade sand flea rake?